The State mandated function of the Equalization Department (MCL 211.34) is to survey assessments of property and to assist the Board of Commissioners in the matter of equalization of assessments. The director of the Equalization Department is appointed by the Board of Commissioners. The department also furnishes assistance to the local assessing officers and treasurers.
- Maintenance of assessment/tax rolls. This function includes name & address, legal descriptions, (splits and combinations) acreage, etc.
- Update tax maps as splits and combinations and developments occur.
- Preparation of all Township, City and Village rollbacks (Headlee, Truth in Assessing and Truth in Taxation).
- Collection and compilation of millage information for Apportionment Report.
- Collection and input of information for preparation of summer and winter tax rolls and bills.
- Printing of tax rolls and bills