Concealed Weapon Application Process
1. Obtain application kit from the County Clerk’s office. These are provided free of charge to individuals who wish to apply for a license to carry a concealed weapon. Click the link below to download an application from the Michigan State Police website. Concealed Pistol Application and Instructions
2. Participate in Pistol Safety Training Course and obtain Certificate of Completion.
3. Go to Iron County Clerk’s Office and submit completed application and certificate of pistol safety training.
a. Application must be signed in presence of Clerk or her staff. Training must have occurred no more than five (5) years prior to application. Individuals renewing their concealed weapons permits must do so within one year of expiration, or the training will have to be re-taken. As of December 1, 2015, expiration notices will be mailed to all individuals currently holding concealed pistol licenses.
b. $115 New Application Fee; $115 Renewal Fee
4. The applicant will receive a receipt for payment, which new applicants can submit to the Sheriff’s Department to have fingerprints taken. Appointments for fingerprinting are encouraged.
5. Applications will be submitted online to the Michigan Department of State Police, Firearms Section once fingerprint responses have been received for new applicants. Renewal applications are generally submitted on a weekly basis. The Firearms Section has 45 days to respond to the County Clerk, at which time a license will be printed and mailed to the applicant.